Friday, August 22, 2008

Rail timetables

I was riding a slightly later train this morning after running a few errands before work and it was quite a different experience. The train was nearly empty, and of those who were still riding, there seemed to be more just travelling a few stops rather than the full trip into Britomart (or Newmarket).

The funny thing was the train was still pulling four carriages. It makes you wonder why there could ever be a need for that kind of capacity after peak morning hours have passed. I'm not complaining here, I was quite content to ride a nearly empty, quiet train with two seats to myself. I just wonder at the cost of pulling four carriages when two would have been more than enough.

Anyway, two nice old ladies came aboard about Mt Albert, heading for a morning shopping in Newmarket and were happily chatting to themselves (they sat near me hence I picked up some info about there plans), and when the ticket man came by they both asked for a timetable because both of their's were overdue... That got me to thinking it might be good to offer a link to were the new timetables are posted, so click here for the lastest train timetable for the western line of Auckland's Rail Network. (PDF)

..And if you're trying to figure out the cost of catching the train and whether it'd be cheaper than driving, click here for a table of train fares.

No comments: